November 7, 2015

The Time My Brother and I Sled

Winter, the favorite season of most people. There is something about it that makes us feel warm and cozy, even though is the coldest stage of the year. I can not say precisely what it is about it that people love so much, but like Andy Williams says in his song “It’s the most wonderful time of the year”. Cool and ugly sweaters are used by almost everyone. Warm beverages like hot cocoa and coffee along with some gingerbread cookies and delicious pastries are shared between family and friends. People get together all over the globe to see each other. There is just something in the air that makes us feel happy and appreciative of the little things. At peace with with our surroundings. A time for love and comfort. A season where each of us has to make the other feel special regardless the situation. A time for giving.


Every time this beautiful winter season presents itself, my brother and I get reminded of an epic moment he and I shared together. We still laugh at it every year, and we really like to tell the story to our close friends and relatives when together at a get or family party. My mother, loves the story, she laughs at it every time, but also reminds everyone about how mad she was with us that day, and the pain she went through because of us. It was between the holidays of thanksgiving and christmas. At the time, we were around eight and nine years old. My brother is a year younger than me. People say we look a like, twins they say, but honestly they are completely wrong. We are opposite poles. One of us is clearly adopted and it’s him. I am just kidding, we sort of have some similarities.


Anyway, we woke up this Sunday morning before our parents. It was really early, the sun wasn’t even up yet. I say Sunday, because I can clearly recall that on this day we were all at home and our parents slept until 10 o’clock in the morning. So, with being awake so early and with nothing to do we quickly got bored. We started eating things out of the fridge and doing random things around the house. It was, until I went to the laundry and found these two ginormous boxes of detergent for washing clothes. But they weren't our normal clothes detergent, which was liquid detergent. It was powdered detergent. And two whole full giant boxes of it. My lightbulb immediately turned on. I then, ran to my brother and told him about the idea I had. He agreed without hesitation, he is my little brother so wouldn’t he. With me being the mastermind behind all this, we both grabbed the two boxes of powdered detergent and started scattering the powder, scoop by scoop, all over the kitchen, the dinning room, and the family room.

It happens these three rooms were all connected on a one story house. Once we finished dispersing the boxes entirely on the couches, the tables, chairs, the old figures at the tables, the kitchen cabinets, the floor, and everything on it’s path, we took off our pijamas and stayed in our underwear. It was winter wonderland! Neither of us have seen snow before, so this was as close as we could get. It really looked like snow. We were so happy, with a sense of accomplishment, that we started playing in it. We made “snow balls”, we threw them at each other, we ran, made figures, and sled all through the rooms. May I remind you that it was detergent. One moment, my brother slammed into my parents room door so hard that it woke them up. As soon as they came out through that door, we hid like mice at night. My mother was so furious. She didn’t even lay a hand on us that day, because she knew if she grabbed us, she would kill us.

After that, my dad got us outside, in our underwear, grabbed the water hose and hosed us down from top to bottom. We looked like some devilish snowman melting under the sun. Our eyes were so red, and the pain was inexplicable. That was our punishment as described by my mother. It was clearly something crazy, but we had lots of fun. Now, that’s the time my brother and I sled for the first time in “snow”.

2 comments:

  1. Hahahaha I really enjoy read your story. Thanks to give us this awesome anecdote.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once again, I tell you that this is one story that would likely end up in one of the conversations of the future just because it shows us how life should be taken upon. We tend to live as if we are in a box trying to get out. Those of us who do get out will likely end up with ideas that will end up as a "winter wonderland".

    ReplyDelete